MENTAL NOTE

"Though we cannot make our sun stand still, yet we will make him run."
Blue, resist the urge to use facebook. You can do it. Good luck.
Cats and dogs can be friends. So can cowboys and indians. So can we.
Why try to be the best when there's no hierarchy in heaven?

Monday, February 27, 2017

Dumbed Down to Their Heart's Content

I was nothing but a randy teenager when I first read Orwell's masterpiece, 1984, the famously dispiriting novel about a world in which the insignificant are spied on by the government and dumbed down to its heart's content. At the time I read this fun tale of all things sour, in the summer of '88, I had no idea that my own world would soon be reminiscent of Orwell's fun depiction of red tape choking you until you are no more. I was, let's say, too preoccupied with, and mesmerized by, nature's most captivating wonder: women! Now that I'm much wiser and a tad less hot on both the inside and, darn it, the outside, I can see the tell-tale signs of a 68-year-old book dripping into our present. 

If there's one thing a government wants for its birthday, it is for all of its minor constituents to believe in the system. To ooze a sense of friendly connectedness, a government will sometimes pretend to be humble by admitting that the system isn't perfect — "but, hey, it works." Does it now? What they really want is for you to pay your taxes — the ones they pulled out of their big hat — and shut up, all the while concocting new ways to keep the leash around our necks short and tight, preferably so tight that the lack of oxygen keeps us from thinking too much and, heaven forbid, discovering that the Great Wizard of Oz is nothing but a phony. Yet not too tight or else we little people down somewhere die and cannot pay our taxes, let alone show off our Pinocchio voting skills. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist. Well, the greatest trick the government ever pulled was to make us believe they have our best interests at heart. Let's see if that's true, oh mighty wizard.

Why do you think the government is all for a world in which each one of us is addicted to our smart phone, an aptly-named piece of technology that we won't leave at home each time we leave the house? Because we are too ignorant to fathom that it is an incredibly cost-effective way to track us down. When we pay for our monthly subscription, they wipe the tears pouring from their eyes — tears of joy, of course, because they can't believe their luck that we are willing to pick up the tab and often use a credit card to boot to make the magic happen. No one is a more formidable proponent of the digital revolution than Uncle Sam. Except for Uncle Vladimir, that is. Or Uncle Chen. Or Uncle Big. While you are sharing the life you find so meaningful with your loved ones and everyone else you'd like to see turn green with envy whether they want to or not, Uncle Sam is looking over your shoulder and relishing every moment of it with a big fat grin on his face.

But you, of course, have been perfectly brainwashed into believing that Sam's the man. Sam's your invisible friend. Sam's your surrogate father, who looks after you in times of need. But the question, of course, is: whose need? Ironically, deep down you know perfectly well whose need, but you care too much about your quest for interconnectedness and thumbs up self-promotion that to rock the boat and see the truth and not trivialize it (Oh I have nothing to hide... Oh I'm sure the government wouldn't do such a thing, like, ever...) would mean to sink your own set of needs and hankerings. Each time you use your phone, you leave a trace. Each time you're on Facebook, you leave a trace. Each time you publish a post on Blogger in an attempt to pull the rug from under them or tear at the blinders to the world, you leave a trace that can be, and will be, used against you even when you feel you are insignificant and harmless.

Right now a plethora of governments is seeking to dumb us down in the name of progress. Not only do they want us to never part from our phones, they also envisage a world in which there are cameras on every street corner, in every McDonald's establishment and on government drones hovering quietly above our heads. By the way, they have the means to switch on the camera installed on your laptop, tablet or phone so they can admire your outer beauty when you least expect it. Let's say someone's showing an interest. And when it comes to the future of driving with relish, the government envisages a world in which none of us is in control of our own damned car. My guess is they are more in favor of the self-driving vehicle than the ignorant scarecrow ever wanted a brain. How's that? Well, the argument goes that self-driving cars means fewer accidents and deaths. The inability to park your own car is a plus. Self-driving cars are also more environment-friendly. (Side note: We humans are the worst thing to have ever happened to nature, but that's obviously beside the point.) So, not being in control of your car is good for your health and good for Mother Nature. It's also good for Big Brother.

They want you dumb and addicted whenever it suits them. They want to watch you whenever it suits them. They want to be able to control your vehicle whenever it suits them. They will put you in room 101 whenever it suits them. And when the mighty wizard comes knocking on your door, you'd better be in awe, unless those blinders have been completely torn and there's no more hope for you. Where's a flying house to squash you when you need one? My point exactly.

Have a nice day!

* * *

No need to walk or think.... and easily traceable - just the way they like it.

55 comments:

  1. they killed the truth, it no longer exists and how can we talk about reason and sense in a world in which truth is a relative term?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, it is pathetic and so many people are already far too dumb to realize it. I mean some places are even changing history to fit their dumb you down agenda. If it is in a book, it must be true, right? Pffffft. And as far as self driving cars go, that is stupid. Cat has a post on that coming up. But what is a self driving car going to do when it is on ice and there is a bus full of kids in front of you. You have a cliff to your right and a tree to your left. You have the choice of hitting the kids, going over the cliff, or crossing the other lane and hitting the tree. Any smart human, few of those, would cross lanes and hit the tree. But what would a robot do that relies on censors? Just one example. And what do they expect? Every driver in the world to be able to afford a new car all at once? Are they that stupid? People can't afford new cars now. Oh but yes, there is the handy dandy credit card and lines of credit and loans and high interest loans for those that can't get a loan. That will help and keep you a slave to debt even further. But oh it is needed for the economy, spend and keep spending. Keep the banks happy. Your credit score needs to be high, pay on time, pay those bills, rack up more and pay pay pay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!
      Look at you go
      At the blue guy show
      Hitting the kids...
      Say it ain't so
      Hitting a neighbor...
      Would that be doing myself a favor?
      Nope, no dough to buy a self-driving piece of junk. Let's keep it that way.

      Delete
  3. I think you've probably guessed that I've known for the past 50/60 years the direction we're going so I won't get started on that. Although I resist a lot of the pitfalls, I fell into the Amazon trap. It's so easy to see through that one, too but I hate to shop and this little village offers very little so I order and the item is here in 2 days. They set the snare but I knew what I was doing when I walked
    into it, same with what I'm doing right now. Now Walmart got into the act, too. We'll have to pack a picnic lunch, sit on the sidelines and watch them duke it out. Amazon knows us and can track us at any time from our orders. Especially be aware of appliances ..... Oh, oh, I wonder if my new Bosch dough mixer is busy adding tidbits to my profile. Perhaps it's competing with the smart meter outside my house or my Vizio TV. Oh well, I just got my lic. renewed and won't be driving after 4 years anyway. I'm eager to read the comments to this one.
    Cans of worms..... you know how to open them. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got this special can opener. Bought it on Amazon. :)

      Delete
  4. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist. Greatest line ever.
    Yes, they are tracking us.
    And yes, the media wants to keep us in fear so we can be controlled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greatest line ever, all right. Keyser Söze!!!

      Delete
  5. I couldn't agree with you more. I couldn't have said it better myself so I'm not going to even try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What!!! They can turn on the camera on my laptop & spy on me???? That episode of what ever I was watching the other week is actually true??? It's not just something out of a TV show?????? Well Bugger Me (not literally thank you very much). Go Figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no doubt about it. It has been done and will be done again.

      Delete
  7. Makes me wish Orwell was alive to see President Cheeto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because you'd like to give him a heart attack? Tell me more, Adam.

      Delete
  8. Blue it only costs 2 cents per day to know what you are doing (track and trace you)? Where can I subscribe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, I'm so addicted to my phone that I can't drain the lizard or bomb my new Flushmaster 2000 without taking the damn thing with me. So, you were saying.... 2 cents a day. Which I take it you think isn't a whole lot until every phone owner sends you 2 cents a day allowing you to buy Bora Bora. Would that modest amount include the top secret manpower required to actually do something with the data gathered? The point I'm making is WE purchase the devices (and way too often at that) that make it possible for THEM to track us down. Last time I checked it cost the Missus 40 bucks a month. So it's 40 bucks plus 2 cents, 2 cents that I'm paying through my frigging taxes.

      Thanks for stopping by. There's a follow button. I got rid of by FB button years ago. A matter of principle, is all. The way I see it, FB is today's crack. Unlike those crackheads back in the 80s, we think it's free of charge but it's not.

      Delete
  9. And people wonder why the powers that be are doing everything in their power to fuel the heroin epidemic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let them wonder if they can't figure that one out in a split second.

      Delete
  10. Track away they do all day. As soon as I get in my car my phone automatically tells me the estimated drive time to my community center or to the kid's school. I don't use it while driving, but it already has my routine down and knows exactly where I'm going and when. Those trackers are working round the clock. Big Brother is watching all the damn time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we're just sitting here letting it all happen. What are we? Muppets?

      Delete
  11. Orwell was prescient. I'm tired.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't stay tired, okay? Yes, the guy just turned around in his grave.

      Delete
  12. It absolutely terrifies the both of us. Especially the cameras/microphones everywhere thing. Look at how much more commonplace it is to dig up something a celebrity said years ago, take it out of context, and then say, "Look at how bad they are!" I'm technically a nobody right now, sure, but could you imagine years from now, I'm a somebody, and someone else who's a somebody that doesn't like me uses a joke I told privately to a friend years ago to paint me as some kind of monster?

    "Well, it's him on tape saying it, isn't it!"

    Terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, you're a somebody because I'd like your autograph. But, then, a stranger lurking in the dark might beat the hell out of me, steal your autograph and use it against you in some technologically advanced way I can't begin to fathom when you're a Somebody Somebody (not to be confused with SS).

      Can't allow any of that, so how come the masses don't speak up and fire their asses? Because they don't want to rock the boat, is why. We need our quick fix.

      Delete
  13. Scary stuff. I have yet to read 1984. Maybe I shouldn't... Or maybe I should. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh, yes, Blue! So well said. People can't believe that a government would do such a thing as lie to them. Really? Why not? 1984 is so close to the truth, it's creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why people don't really want to think about it.

      Delete
  15. You know there have been secret societies hidden in the government and underhanded hand shakes going on for ages. I hate that it happens, but you know it does. They're all about their agenda. The part that kills me is when those handshakes happen with the media. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh and then some. Yes, underhanded handshakes have been going on since the day when two hairy Neanderthals supressed a third one and declaired themselves the first politicians ever, but the digital revolution has made our invisible suppression much, much worse.

      Delete
  16. Hi Blue...
    Too tired to read the whole post...actually...had a few drinks!
    Just. Wanted to say hi! How the hell are you?
    Sweating on the Gulf of Mexico...yes!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What?! Too tired too read the magnificence that is my post?? Well, that makes perfect sense to me. How the hell am I doing? Well, let's see... I'm sleepy but don't want to sleep; I'm dreaming of sweating on the Gulf of Mexico but I'm not; and I'm an underpaid teacher. Other than that, it's all good! Now, as for those drinks you were talking about... I could do with a few.

      Nighty night. Don't let those blue bugs bite!

      Delete
    2. Sorry about not reading the whole post Blue!
      Forgive me?

      Delete
    3. That all sort of depends on how strong the drink is your buying me. I mean... Linda not reading my post... it'd better be a strong one ha!

      Delete
  17. Scary stuff.
    I got hacked on FB and just deactivated.
    Well written post, Blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra...
      Deactivated before Christmas...
      BEST thing I ever did!

      Delete
    2. Hi Sandra, hi Linda... Yes, it's scary stuff. I deactivated after one day back in 2004 or 2005. That's right... one day. And that's only because it took me an entire day to figure out how to deactivate.

      Sandra, Linda's having too much fun sweating on the Gulf of Mexico to read my depressing post.

      Delete
  18. It's really hard to avoid feeding their information machines, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's harder than avoiding comics. That can't be right.

      Delete
  19. Pinocchio voting skills! Aint that the truth.

    George Orwell was a smart man. I do believe in the UK we are the most videoed nation. I swear there are cameras everywhere. I can’t drive down a street without one, and yes, I often get points because I’ve gone a few miles over the speed limit. Lets not give consideration to the fact that I’ve never had an accident and have years of no claims bonus (because I’m actually a good driver) but look! Here’s a way to get hundreds of pounds out of me. All for the greater good of the country, of course. What is the point of me having a nice car? I can’t drive it without being bored out of my mind or fined. So much control. I can’t even have a falafel and rocket, Pret A Manger sandwich, the most pitiful and humanistic of sarnies, without being watched by some oik.

    Phones: A double edged sword. I recently dropped mine down the toilet and the power of morning bitch piss welded it together, which was fascinating in itself. I went four days without it, deliberately, because it has such a control over me which I despise. I have to have one in order to communicate and run business but I loathe how people expect me to be instantly available. I often turn it to silent because the incessant beeping drives me crazy. What is this need for instant connection? And yet, I watch people wandering around cities with their faces buried into their screens. I let them bump into me because they aren’t watching where they’re going and why should I zig zag around them? I want to ask them why they aren’t paying attention to the beautiful Victorian architecture or the way the tree branches are silhouetted against the dusky sky like paintings or noticing the emotions on the faces around them. They don’t care. Spend half an hour watching people in the city or a coffee shop and most of them are deeply engrossed in their smart device. Constantly connected and yet so disconnected. How do they not see this? What will the future look like?

    And yet, in order to survive or make it as a “Someone” in the world of business you need to be constantly on a never ending stream of social media platforms. What a time sink. What a drain; a drain on so many levels. The invisible blanket of suffocation. I hate it and yet I perform, begrudgingly, on the stage with all the other puppets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you dropped your phone down the toilet and the power of morning bitch piss welded it together... If that isn't the best line ever, may Pinocchio show me the true meaning of wood and call it a day. I have no doubt you are a good driver. You've got what it takes to teach Bond a lesson or two. Isn't it ironic that Orwell, a British writer, forsaw a world in which we're all being monitored and that the UK is the most videoed nation? That guy wasn't full of it.

      I hope you're doing fine in spite of being watched by Big Brother. May his balls shrink to the size of M&M and melt in the process.

      Delete
  20. Oh no, I'm keeping your post from my bf, who thinks we should pack up and move to the countryside away from technology and all of its evils. Just kidding but sort of not kidding. Let's advocate for less screen time, shall we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart thinking. Anyone associated with me has been stripped down and forced to sing Blue Suede Shoes with a straight face. Now you know the true reason I'm no longer on FB.

      Yes, let's advocate for less screen time and fewer taxes. Which do you rwckon is more likely to be assigned to La La Land (no, not the movie - the real place)? ;)

      Delete
  21. We are a VERY dumbed down society. I look around and see everyone walking with their heads down looking into their phone and it is as if everyone is brainwashed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you call them smart PHONE zombies or SMART phone zombies?

      Delete
  22. You hit so many nails right on the head, I think your 3D printer may actually be able to construct a house. A mansion! I couldn't agree more that we are so dumbed down and so darned dependent upon the government, we can't even see the downward spiral in which we are heading. Thank heavens I'm addicted to my bicycle and the camera on my laptop is covered up with a bandage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great opening line, Snowcatcher! I might steal um borrow that one from you. Make sure to draw a big butt on the inside of that bandage.

      Delete
  23. They want you dumb and addicted
    whenever it suits them. They want
    to watch you whenever it suits them

    It all goes to show
    Big Brother is forever watching
    If they want to know
    They can quit thinking

    They just trigger off their options
    To get us on the defensive
    They get what they had yearned
    Despite to us it is somewhat offensive

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  24. They have a lot to answer to! There are cameras everywhere now watching us! Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there will be more where those come from. It is never going to end. Thanks for the love.

      Blue

      Delete
  25. That is such an interesting post. Loved the comparison of the devil convincing us that he doesn't exist to the government convincing us they care. Are there people left that really believe the government is truly looking out for their individual interests?

    It's been years since I read 1984 (probably in the late 1960s) and it seems odd by today's standards how frightening the concept of being spied upon was at that time. In 1949 maybe the concept of electronic anything seemed like a horror story.

    On that note...I am constantly surprised by all the people that are caught misbehaving on camera and then acting like they had no idea that it was even a possibility. Sure they posted something horrible on Facebook but surely only their friends could see it. Oh and those nude pictures that went viral...how could that of happened???

    There are a lot of paradoxes in our modern world. If a person is addicted to electronic devices it seems a waste of breath to gripe about the lack of privacy. The constant barrage of social media that is the polar opposite of "social"...often not even civil.

    It all makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are people who really believe the government is looking out for their interests. I know them personally. Yes, isn't it utterly shocking how quickly we've gotten used to being spied on?

      Thanks for the great comment.

      Delete

Speak your mind.